Teaching and Evaluating Oral Communication
Participants in this workshop will explore the opportunities and challenges that emerge in courses with an oral communication focus (individual/group presentations, discussion leading, etc.). We will highlight strategies for designing oral assignments and tools for assessing oral communication skills. Instructors who are currently teaching or considering teaching a College Seminar (CSEM) course are especially encouraged to attend.
After successfully completing this workshop you will be able to:
- design oral assignments that align with particular course learning goals.
- differentiate between different types of communication skills (verbal/nonverbal), different methods of delivery (impromptu, manuscript, extemporaneous, etc.), and different speaking occasions (public speaking/presentational speaking).
- identify different grading philosophies that are useful for grading oral work.
- begin creating rubrics for evaluating oral work.
- Teaching and Evaluating Oral Communication Handout (832KB PDF)
- Speaking and Listening Competencies for College Students (188KB PDF)
- Oral Communication Presentation Slides (467KB PDF)
In the Library: