Graduate students and postdocs can earn certificates as a way to demonstrate their commitment to improving their teaching. Certificates are granted on a rolling basis throughout the year. They are granted digitally, with hard copies available upon request.
Striving for Excellence in Teaching Certificate
Notre Dame graduate students and postdocs who attend five certificate eligible teaching workshops and write a two-page reflective essay are eligible for the Striving for Excellence in Teaching Certificate.
- The five workshops may be attended over multiple semesters.
- Workshops do not count for academic credit.
To receive a certificate, email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Date of each workshop, title, and brief description of each workshop (workshop attendance will be verified using our database).
- A two-page essay reflecting on aspects of the workshop content that the applicant found most relevant to his or her teaching interests and goals.
Graduate students and postdocs who are not seeking a certificate are welcome to attend any workshop.
Advanced Teaching Scholar Certificate
Graduate students and postdocs who have completed the Striving for Excellence in Teaching Certificate can go on to pursue an Advanced Teaching Scholar certificate. Requirements are as follows:
- Previous completion of the Striving for Excellence in Teaching Certificate
- List of 5 additional workshops attended
- These must be additional workshops beyond those completed for the Striving Certificate.
- See kaneb.nd.edu/events for upcoming workshops.
- Evidence of participation in other pedagogy workshops (e.g. departmental teaching workshops) may be counted; contact email@example.com with questions about eligibility.
- Observation with consultation: A Kaneb Center observer will attend your class and meet with you afterward to discuss observations and future directions.
- The Graduate Peer Observation Program can be used to satisfy this requirement.