In this workshop, you will explore a nuanced description of interactive, constructive, active, and passive learning strategies (the “ICAP framework”). You will then identify or begin to develop activities that will create the most meaningful engagement for your students.
After successfully completing this workshop you will be able to:
- Understand the reasons for incorporating active learning
- Describe a range of active learning strategies
- Plan an active learning strategy for your class
In the Library:
- Barkley, Elizabeth. 2010. Student Engagement Techniques: A Handbook for College Faculty. Jossey-Bass.
- Bruff, Derek. 2009. Teaching with Classroom Response Systems: Creating Active Learning Environments. Jossey-Bass.
- Felder, Richard. 2016. Teaching and Learning STEM: A Practical Guide. Jossey-Bass.
- Rice, Gail Taylor. 2018. Hitting Pause: 65 Lecture Breaks to Refresh and Reinforce Learning. Stylus Publishing.